[opendtv] Re: Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:59:26 -0800

I'm not aware of them having defined "market" in the way you describe, if at
all, at least in this context.  IIRC, the FCC has about 20 definitions of
market in it's rules (SMSA,CGSA, Neilsen, Arbitron are just a few) and has
up to a half-dozen that apply to broadcast/cable.  Just two years back, they
redefined market in the FM context that required Clear Channel to give up
effective control of two stations in the San Diego market, but which
otherwise didn't affect anybody anywhere else.

Without an explicit definition of market in this context, there is no way to
effectively figure out how analog shutdown will proceed.

Doesn't the FCC have an open proceeding to define what market means in this
context?