[opendtv] Re: Local Content Considered Key to Mobile DTV Adoption

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:04:18 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Why would I waste my time waiting for a local newscast or
> weather report when I can access this stuff on demand in a
> matter of seconds?

Watch much DTT lately, Craig? No waiting involved.

Weather, and sometimes news too, are available around the clock on some of the
local station subchannels. In this market, NBC and ABC offer this, and CBS has
the radar image only. The ABC affiliate used to include audio from the 24 hour
news radio station WTOP. I don't know if they still do.

And, of course, it will be up to these broadcasters to fine-tune the content of
the M/H stream. The fact that the coveted age bracket is interested in FOTA TV
over their cell phones is certainly interesting, so it's up to broadcasters to
capitalize on this.