[opendtv] Re: Letter to TV Technology

  • From: Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 21:19:59 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> And those new receivers could also handle MPEG4 or
> VP7.

Which, for example, is sensible to right away do if you add A-VSB, or MPH, or
other similar scheme, and specify the new codecs as mandatory on those streams.
It just doesn't matter enough for the wide streams, Bob. You obsess over these
things, but they aren't that significant.

> Since we are willing to write off legacy receivers lots of
> things should be possible.

Whatever gave you this idea, that anyone is "willing to write off legacy
receivers"? That's plainly not true. Everyone is trying to extend the
effectiveness of ATSC without having to make everything obsolete. Just as
everyone has been doing with Internet Protocols, and with Ethernet, as long as
they have been around.

By FAR the easiest way to make DTT better, the way that is easiest to get
deployed, is to do so without violating the current standard. As always.