[opendtv] Letter to TV Technology

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 01:37:27 -0400

Ref: SFN TV Broadcasting in The United States?

http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0079/t.8845.html

Mr. Hoffman,

One little problem with using SFN's with 8-VSB in the US.

They only work with current generation receivers. This constitutes in
affect the same thing as changing to a new modulation. The argument
years ago when only a few thousand legacy receivers existed for not
allowing or switching to the far superior COFDM based DVB-T was legacy
receivers.

We have far more legacy receivers today to protect so the argument
against considering using this NEW 8-VSB that works with SFN's is far
stronger than it was in 2000 or 2001.

If we decide that we MUST use such SFN networks and in a sense then
are switching to a new architecture that it all intents and purposes
is a new modulation that makes all legacy receivers obsolete we MUST
take advantage of this about face to consider all the latest
modulations and advanced codecs at the same time.

The logic is unassailable in my opinion. We would double the carrying
capacity of a channel by going to MPEG4 and could upgrade to the
Chinese modulation DTMB DTV standard which would give us a high
data-rate mobile modulation that could deliver 1080P in a 6 MHz
channel. Think about it, 1080P mobile.

Why be satisfied with just the SFN capability. If we are going to
finally bury the lame excuse of protecting legacy receivers lets go
all the way. The extra cost would be minor compared to the incredible
gains to be had. And we could bury A-VSB at the same time.

Bob Miller
Viacel Corp.