[opendtv] Re: Letter to TV Technology

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 09:42:54 -0400

No people will always buy the latest and best receiver if any are
offered. The problem is how do you deploy a new architecture in
broadcasting. How do you deploy an SFN that will confound all legacy
receivers. How is doing that any different than switching to or
allowing a new modulation.

If you allow the deployment of an 8-VSB SFN that will not work with
older receivers why not allow the use of an alternate modulation that
while it also won't work with legacy receivers is far superior to in
every way to 8-VSB/A-VSB?

This has always been the problem with "fixing" 8-VSB. As soon as the
fix makes legacy receivers obsolete in any way you open the door to
the consideration of changing both the modulation and codec.

With DTMB, the Chinese standard, you are talking higher data-rate
reception than 8-VSB and similar data-rate reception than Dibcom
enabled DVB-T. With MPEG4 we are talking multiple HD programs per 6
MHz channel or even 1080P capability.

If we are going to trash far more legacy receivers than we were
talking about in 2000 then why not get more for the trashing than an
iffy SFN capability? Why not get double the data rate and state of the
art reception?

And all that Sinclair asked for was that another modulation be
allowed. That would do no more harm than allowing 8-VSB SFN's. No more
and no fewer legacy receivers would be trashed.

And why not?

Bob Miller