[opendtv] Re: Learning From the Veterans - local news in HD

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:29:53 -0400

PBS is placing all of their SD formatting eggs in the AFD basket. Their immediate goal is to have every program AFD encoded. The ultimate goal is to have all content AFD encoded scene-by-scene, and have station sat receivers who are outputting SD perform the appropriate action (center cut or letterbox) on a scene-by-scene basis.

PBS also has hopes of this scene-by-scene AFD program encoding surviving each station's HD acquisition/distribution/emission chain, so that cable operators can use AFD aware ATSC receivers at their head ends for the HD to SD downconversion on their cable systems.

I wish them (us) all the best in that pursuit.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Schubin" <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Alas, no.

PBS has no commercials. I serve on the PBS HD Quality Group. We discuss many issues and often achieve unanimity. But when it comes to letterbox for widescreen content for 4:3 TVs I am in the minority on the group. It is probably our most-contentious issue. I have had to bring in support from directors and producers to keep PBS from banning letterbox.

TTFN,
Mark