[opendtv] Re: Learning From the Veterans - local news in HD

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:54:43 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

> In fact, some professional 16:9 HDTV monitors (including some Sony
> BVMs) use 4:3 tubes covered with 16:9 bezels.  You may consider
> Craig's plan to be the same.  There is absolutely nothing lost on
> the sides.

It's not hard to conceive of such a scenario, i.e. where there's nothing lost
on the sides of the 4:3 HD capture. But it's very hard for me to believe that
this high res 4:3 image would be acceptable to NTSC analog sets. In shooting
soccer or football, the ball would disappear on analog sets.

So IN PRACTICE, my bet is that the videographer is zooming in to the ball
*more* than he would be for HD displays. Resulting in less content on the sides
than ideal for the HD monitors out there.

If people insist on using 4:3 HD capture, then the better choice would be to do
both pan-scan and tilt-scan for the 4:3 SD extraction to analog sets. Failing
that, the 16:9 becomes the more compromised output. That's my bet.