[opendtv] Re: It's Active X, not IE

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 02:35:24 +0100

Gee, you mean that it doesn't use the IE plumbing?   It has it's own sockets
stack?  You can run it on Windows 3.1 (which came with no innate Winsock
support?  It doesn't use the Winsock active X control?  Doesn't use MSInet?
Doesn't use ...

I find Netscape 7.1 to be slower than IE in every installation, which is not
surprising since WINDOWS TIGHTLY INTEGRATES THE BROWSER AND INTERNET
PLUMBING INTO THE OS.  (Ever heard that before?)

The multiple windows (or as programmers would call it, Multiple Document
Interface/MDI) isn't enough of an advantage for me, since you take a
performance hit.  Besides, with a hour or so of coding, I can use the
Computer Browser Active X control to implement that functionality myself.

Of course, if I wanted to visit Russian child-porn sites, I might be
interested in Mozilla.

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>