[opendtv] Re: Internet takes over

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 17:09:49 -0600

Mike Tsinberg posted:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2012/02/29/from-analog-tv-to-super
-wifi-spectrum-auction-will-open-way-for-fast-wireless-future/?utm_source=fe
Edburner

BTW, just wanted to add that this business about "super WiFi" is "super silly."

What does "super" mean?

If you want to use low frequencies to go a very long distance, great, but then
you have to accept the *scaling* aspects of the problem. Just like two-way DBS
is not practical in dense market areas, the same applies to WiFi.

Two-way comms require a high degree of frequency reuse, to scale effectively in
dense areas. The low frequencies and long range of TV spectrum can be used for
long range quite well, but by definition that won't allow for frequency reuse.

What's so "super" about allowing, say, 100 MHz of WiFi spectrum for a
metropolitan area, when I already today have 40 MHz just in my own home?