[opendtv] Re: Image quality

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:03:09 -0500

Mark -

I get confused in going back and forth between computer and TV terms so
I may be saying something stupid here.  But in my own playing with
various sharpening algorithms I always eventually run up against the
point where sharpening or whatever starts to just amplify quantization
or other noise.  That is, it works well for high bit precise source but
not very well for whatever 8-bit previously compressed source I might be
playing with.  I realize deconvolution is much more complex but the same
principles likely apply.

It appears you equate limited dynamic range with limited MTF at higher
spatial frequencies.  But that limited MTF can come from many sources
and one of those is probably adjacent pixel averaging caused by your
optical limitations.  And it is that last factor we would try to correct
if we got the signal in the camera before too much other noise was
introduced.

Am I grossly misunderstanding something here?  Or are you just
suggesting all the info is all too badly mangled from the start to do
much with it?  At the very least it seems any downsampling method should
take into account any known optical distortions.

But I am just speculating on a Sunday afternoon without either much
thought or knowledge in this area.

Thanks for your patience.

- Tom