[opendtv] Re: Image quality

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:30:47 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

> Sorry.  I didn't mean to be scary.  Good HDTV lenses can
> be had today for under $20,000, just a 65% premium over
> an SD lens (to compare Canon's SD J17Ex7.7 to their HD
> HJ17Ex7.7).  Maybe they're not as great as the $112,000
> versions, but they're good.

Sounds like a tradeoff between super expensive lenses and
somewhat larger image sensors, right?

Are larger sensors out of the question because they result
in bulkier cameras?

I would think a VistaVision format digital camera would
create images well beyond what's needed for 1080p, and with
quite affordable lenses.

As far as I know, there's only one still digital camera
that used a full-frame CCD sensor (like VistaVision): the
Contax N digital, 6 Mpels, withdrawn from the US market in
2003.

http://www.kyocera.de/kyocera_n/english/news/contax.html

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/contax-n-digital.shtml