[opendtv] Re: Image quality

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:13:32 -0800

So the 1" imager needs about 69 lp/mm, 2/3" imager needs about= 100 lp/mm,
the 1/2" needs 138, and the 1/3" needs 184, assuming = a perfect lens at
fullapeture.  This all makes sense, but there is so= mething else to be
considered.  It is easier and cheaper to make a len= s that has the same
resolving power, but covers a smaller imaging area. &nb= sp;Mark asks the
question, can they make one with three times the resolutio= n for 1/100th
thecost? To quote Mark, "I don' THINK so." (I am a= greeing with him).  But
it would be interesting to measure to find out= what the actual resoluving
power is for those small lenses.  I doubt = it would be near the 184 lp/mm
necessary (although some small format still = photography lenses covering an
approx. 1/3" image area do reach that) = but I wouldn't be surprised if it
isbetter than 69 lp/mm.  But I don'= t have any data.

Dan

=