[opendtv] Re: IP-Based TV Will Revolutionize Entertainment

  • From: John McClenny <jamcclenny@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:05:17 -0500

>=20
> The old saw applies here...
>=20
> Want'n and Gett'n are two different things.
>=20
> The telcos cannot take away enough market share with another walled
> garden to make a dent in cable and DBS. They have no choice but to
> try new business models.

Surely you jest.  I have Time Warner cable now - they are overpriced
and the usability of the STB is marginal at best.  A competing system
would get my business in a minute.  They don't have any exclusive
content that the telcos can't get.   Their DVR software is inept at
best and the general UI sucks.

I think that you will see a pretty MSO like initial offering that will
migrate to a richer product over time as they get experience and
better understand the possibilities.

Doc