[opendtv] Re: Hearings :Cost of Converter Boxes

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:48:08 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> What is different about Paris and Mantes?
>
> Could it be the same thing as the difference
> between Washington D.C. or Baltimore and where
> you live?

I think not, Craig. The program channels are
nationwide nets. The reason for the separate
frequencies is simply because an SFN with
such large transmitter spacing would involve
more complexity (synchronization).

If they used somewhat more power, assuming
that was safely possible to do, they would
have been able to use just one set of frequencies
in that geographical location.

Overly voluminous posts which go on a zillion
tangents don't change the simple truth.

BTW, I have absolutely nothing against that
lower power approach. I have a lot against
half-baked arguments which only see one side
of the story. To me, evidence of incomplete
understanding of the subject matter. Every time.