[opendtv] Re: Hearings :Cost of Converter Boxes

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:31:21 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> How did I not see this. The problem is where
> people live, not the DTV infrastructure

Try to think this through, Craig, for once. If
people all over the country watch the same
nationwide channels, why do you have to restrict
the OTA coverage to little cookie-cutter zones?

Show me where Paris and 30-mile distant Mantes
are separate markets requiring separate TV
programs. So because they use low power
transmitters, they had to use up more frequencies
in order to install translators. Even low power
transmitters cause interference in adjacent
markets, you know. That's why they use
translators in Paris and Mantes. Bigger sticks,
or SFNs, would have needed only one frequency
for each program channel.

I'm not advocating nationwide SFNs, of course.
That would be silly. But I do expect you to
make sensible arguments based on reality, and
to understand the concept of multiple viable
solutions to a problem.

In the US, we do have legitimately separate
markets close together (thanks to the FCC caps).
But they are also huge markets, requiring wide
coverage. Not so hard to understand, right?