[opendtv] Re: Half Truths - Was More 1080p@60

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:11:07 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> Bert, it's not *video frames* being dropped at all, it's time
> code frames that are being dropped so timecode more or less
> keeps sync with the video on the tape or the film..

John Shutt described this in great detail. I may still be missing the
bigger problem here, so tell me this:

Let's say that the time codes for the video or film frames could be made
to fit exactly in 30 minute and 60 minute time slots. And let's say this
stream of ATSC video and audio has to be decoded and converted into
standard NTSC for legacy receivers. Would we not encounter the same
problems with the color burst signal beating against the audio carrier,
which originally motivated this whole mess? I guess, unless the ATSC to
NTSC conversion were much more elaborate, incorporating an odd frame
rate conversion function?

I'm just trying to determine what the issues are, to answer the question
why ATSC had to retain those rates. One might think that as soon as OTA
and cable NTSC go away, the odd rates could also be dropped (because no
broadcaster would be converting any analog source material into
digital). But I think that in fact, they can't be dropped until everyone
stops using the NTSC RF as a convenient interface between DBS, cable, or
OTA STBs and legacy receivers, right?