[opendtv] Re: HDMI for Video production

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 09:48:24 -0700

We are using HDMI in two locations for our productions:

1) We are using consumer grade monitors at locations that don't require
color grading or critical monitoring and AJA HD-SDI to HDMI converters.
These converters work fairly well except that one needs to open them up to
change some settings for the right color space and audio conversions.

2) We have a few sources that only output HDMI such as blu-ray players,
computers, document cameras, etc.  We have tried three different HDMI/DVI
to HD-SDI converters with inconsistent results.  And the HDMI signal almost
always goes away if you try to route or distribute the signal to multiple
destinations, even if all are display devices.  We have found that most
equipment does not handle the keys (i.e., the number of keys) properly,
even if well planned.

The HDMI standard certainly presents some challenges both so does its
physical architecture.  In my opinion, the HDMI cable, even if converted to
UTP, is too complicated and expensive compared to the simplicity of the BNC
on coaxial cable.  It would be difficult to convince me to go a different
route unless it was necessary to comply with newer, better picture
standards.

Dan