[opendtv] Re: Google TV, Usability Not Included

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 10:04:04 -0500

At 4:18 PM -0500 11/19/10, Monty Solomon wrote:
Google TV, Usability Not Included

By DAVID POGUE
November 17, 2010

But Google TV wants to reopen the case for the whole Internet on your
TV. It offers access to Web video but also has a full-blown (well,
mostly blown) Web browser built in.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/technology/personaltech/18pogue.html

Thanks for posting this link Monty!

Perhaps it will help Bert understand that it is not a simple "Cut and Paste" exercise to move the web surfing experience from a lean forward computer with keyboard and mouse, to the lean back environment of the sofa or easy chair.

There's a reason that Apple and the other vendors listed in Pogue's article are limiting what their boxes can do, and creating TV-based GUIs that are easy to use with simple remote controllers.

I agree with Pogue that Google TV is not going to cause the masses to start surfing via their big screens. Unfortunately he did not go a step further to discuss the potential for using mobile devices like our smartphones or a table computer as the GUI /remote for the TV in the family room.

Or did he?

The title of the article is Google TV, Usability Not Included