[opendtv] Re: FCC Commissioners disagree on media cross-ownership rules

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:56:08 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> Relatively few broadcasters are even aware of the all UHF
> markets existence. The largest of these UHF only areas is
> in California's Southern San Joaquin Valley, sandwiched
> between Los Angeles and San Francisco/Sacramento. It
> encompasses the Fresno and Bakersfield markets, which were
> established in the mid 1960s, IIRC. Fifteen or more full
> powered UHF stations are currently operating in that area.
>
> The UHF only era ended there with the advent of DTV, several
> station are currently assigned and operating high band VHF
> DTV channels.

But it only ended because of the need to pack in the DTT infrastructure
along with the existing analog one. Yes? If UHF was used exclusively
before, chances were that VHF would be used for some of the new DTT
channels, during the transition.

It looks like after transition, all-UHF areas will re-emerge. Maybe not
where they were in analog days, but they will exist. Some examples of
new all-UHF markets (that were a mix in analog-only days) are Orlando,
Pensacola, Tallahassee, Shreveport, Lansing, St Louis, Raleigh,
Wilmington NC, and others I didn't bother to search for.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-138A2.pdf

So the question is, will cross-ownership and TV station ownership rules
really change in these markets, post transition? Or is this just an
unintended consequence?