[opendtv] Re: FCC Commissioners disagree on media cross-ownership rules

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:38:20 -0800

 Bert wrote:
> But it only ended because of the need to pack in the DTT
> infrastructure along with the existing analog one. Yes?

True....

> It looks like after transition, all-UHF areas will re-emerge.
> Maybe not where they were in analog days, but they will exist.

The original DTV plan, IIRC, was to vacate the VHF band in all markets and
to auction that spectrum. However, as you say, an insufficient number of UHF
channels were available to satisfy that need, particularly during the
transition period. Therefore, it was necessary to temporarily utilize many
out of core UHF DTV channels. The FCC, after learning that the VHF band had
very little auction value, also made a number of high band VHF DTV
assignments in congested RF areas.
Additionally they also allowed broadcasters the option of retaining VHF
channels for DTV service, where technically feasible.

I'm too lazy to do the research but I do imagine, as you say, that there
will indeed be some all UHF markets that were once primarily VHF.