[opendtv] Re: Distribution outside of "the bundle"

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 01:41:54 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You are taking my statement out of context. For SVOD services like
> Netflix and Amazon Prime, access to the most recent season are
> delayed until AFTER the season is over,

Everyone knows that, Craig. The point of the Amazon "season pass" is that it's
used to keep up with the season without an MVPD subscription, without waiting
until after the season is over, outside the garden walls, without subsidizing
ESPN, for a not-astronomical price. So continuing to repeat irrelevant older
options that everyone has known for years and years, and failing to acknowledge
the newer scheme, gives the impression you're still not getting it. Are you
still not getting it?

> The main exception is TV Everywhere,

TVE is irrelevant to this. TVE requires MVPD subscription, therefore it's
nothing new other than the delivery protocol. Prices continue to rise quickly,
even with TVE, and you're still having to subsidize sports, even with TVE. Look
at the subject line once again. Do you see why TVE is irrelevant to this
subject?

> And yes, evolving technologies allow for the creation of new
> business models, which in many cases disrupt dieting[?] business
> models.

Finally! Why does this have to be so painful?

> Did you read the CTAM article I posted?

If you own a Trabant, and the car company offers updated radios to Trabant
owners, only a Trabant owner would perceive that as "adding value," Craig. Get
it? This is an attempt to keep the walled-in MVPD model alive some more time,
even though you're using a distribution technology that does not depend on such
walled-in artifacts. Did you read this quote from the article?

http://www.multichannel.com/news/marketing/ctam-industry-continuing-make-tve-strides/386101

"For cable operators, it's a simple problem with a maddeningly complicated
answer: How to let paying subscribers know they already have access to favorite
shows on favorite devices?"

People p*ssed off at the increasing MVPD prices won't be appeased for long,
with such measures, no matter what they might answer in a survey. The point
lost here is that to many millennials, this is a non-starter. They don't want
to be roped in, when using an Internet that they know full well is the
antithesis of walling you up. So, as unwalled alternatives emerge, that's where
they will go.

> The bundle and "other" paid methods of distribution are NOT
> mutually exclusive Bert.

Listen to your own words, Craig. I never said they were mutually exclusive, YOU
DID. Moving current, fresh content, either totally undelayed, on with just a
VOD-expected delay of a matter of hours, outside of garden walls, is the
change. Including HBO, btw. To compete, HBO is having to exit the garden walls.
The "other paid methods of distribution" you keep giving as examples, which
involve significant delays, are old hat and beside the point.