[opendtv] Re: TV Ad Spending Drops in October | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 02:04:49 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Be consistent Bert. You went to great lengths to tell us about all
> the ways a cord cutter can access The Walking Dead. Losing revenues
> from one method of distribution does not mean that there are not
> opportunities to gain revenues from another.

Thank you for making my point. Why does this have to be so painful? My point
all along has been, content owners previously exclusive to inside MVPD garden
walls are noticing an exodus, now have the Internet as an optional distribution
pipe, so they jump at new opportunities, outside garden walls.

And this is NOT ONLY with much-delayed material, as was the case in the past.
This is also with current material.

>> Make a logical argument for why live ads would be valued any more
>> than embedded, on demand ads.

> The advertisers now consider the 3 and 7 day delayed window as
> part of the audience for commercials that run in live programs.

Okay, so at least up to 7 days, NO DIFFERENCE. Thank you. So live is not
important. And if the VOD content is viewed after that 7 day delay threshold, a
different set of ads can be inserted. So once again, show me why a live viewing
experience should make any difference.

> But cost per thousand viewers is no longer increasing as it did
> in the past. Many advertisers are abandoning the up front market
> and buying in the scatter market where there are significant
> discounts.

That, combined with cord cutting and cord shaving, can only work to bring under
some control the extravagant costs of pro sports, primarily, and also some of
the prime time actors. The "lucrative deals" made with the sports leagues will
only drive up the cost of your "bundle," accelerating the exodus, Craig. No
matter what you think about "perceived added value."