[opendtv] Re: Distribution outside of "the bundle"

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 02:04:22 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Stop with the device maker complaints Bert. The content owners
> are responsible for all of the restrictions you complain about.

Nonsense, Craig. Device makers have it in their power to implement standards
that the congloms already support. If the device makers want to make a nuisance
of themselves, they deserve not to get content. I already gave you the ISDB TV
set example. And you already posted a WSJ article that explained the downside
of your "apps." Put the blame where it belongs.

> Case in point, Dish must now disable the Dish Hopper feature
> for CBS owned programming, per their new licensing deal set
> last week.

Same old problem, Craig. The monopolistic MVPD uses a proprietary technology
and charges monthly for usage and equipment. The perfect recipe for creating
problems from content owners. This is much like retrans consent demanded by
broadcasters, and similar to what got Aereo into hot water. Always the same
problem, it's a wonder why you can't predict it.

"About pricing: The Hopper is available at no cost as part of Dish Network's
mid-tier programming packages, and subscribers who want a lower-end programming
package can get the Hopper installed for $99. Each installation can include up
to three free Joeys for a multi-room setup. Dish charges $10 per month for
whole-home DVR with the Hopper, and an additional $7 per month for each Joey
connected to a TV."

> Should I cut the "cord" to me electric supplier because they
> keep increasing my rates?

You can, or you can reduce your consumption. And of course, the price you pay
for electricity is heavily regulated. Or are you suggesting that it's
increasing as fast as your TV sports addiction? If monopolies need to exist, it
is because there is no viable alternative, and they therefore need to be
heavily regulated (like utilities). If you use monopolistic media when you
don't need to, it's on you.

> The markets for natural gas in Florida are now open and competitive,

Craig, no matter how many times you repeat these examples, you're missing the
fundamental point. For these utilities, the distributed infrastructure required
to reach homes and businesses HAS to be restricted. You can't have half a dozen
or more different power, water, and gas distribution infrastructures in every
neighborhood.

If parts of the system, upstream from end user premises, can be made
competitive, great. But there will remain that monopoly in the infrastructure
network.

> The TV oligopolies exist because the politicians and regulators
> like it Bert.

Blab la bla. We've heard this a ton of times. The congloms are not the
monopoly. At BEST, the congloms exploit the fact that the MVPDs create local
monopolies. But when the congloms distribute their content over competitive
media, e.g. over their separate Internet sites or OTA, they do not behave like
a monopoly. You have a distorted view, because you use a monopolistic delivery
pipe.

> Most of the content in the extended basic bundle is not
> available as VOD,

Spell out what is and is not available already as VOD, Craig. Then we'll see
whether VOD is the big difference from OTT sites.

> You may be able to watch HBO via your Verizon broadband Bert.
> But will you Pay $15/mo for it?

How is that relevant to anything? You were not understanding what a walled
garden is, and I explained it. A walled garden is a middleman who decides for
you what your content sources can be and what they will cost. No such middleman
need exist anymore, with the Internet.