[opendtv] Re: Distribution outside of "the bundle"

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 03:12:45 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> What had Aereo got to do with this Bert?

Everything. Already explained more than once. If I'm an antenna guy and install
an antenna for a client, one-time fee, no problem. If I instead demand a steady
revenue stream for an "antenna service," and don't give the broadcasters a
piece of the action, big problem. That's Aereo. A middleman, asking for an
infinite revenue stream for himself, by making use of someone else's content.
MVPDs do the same thing. Hopper does the same thing. When this happens, the
content owners get p*ssed. They retaliate with whatever type of lawsuit makes
sense for the occasion.

> I think you are starting to get it Bert.

I've gotten it all along. One wonders why you still don't get it, Craig.

> All of this is about getting paid for content that is OFFERED FOR
> FREE if you use an antenna; if you include it in a paid service,
> however, the same stuff they are giving away is now worth billions.
> Go figure.

Obviously. If you introduce a middleman who makes truckloads of bucks by
creating local monopolies to distribute your content, you, the content owner,
can now exploit that local monopoly. In our economic system, the price you
charge is whatever PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO PAY! MVPD subscribers are willing to
pay more, everyone upstream can demand a piece of that action. End of story.

> Bull. Live streams were ALWAYS paid for by the ads they contain.

The price is set at what the lemmings will pay, Craig. The lemmings are willing
to pay extra, more than just watching the ads, the price goes up.

> Once again Bert. The content owners have always found ways to sell
> their content, again and again. That's fundamental to their
> business. Nothing they are doing is having a significant impact on
> their cash cow, the bundle.

That cash cow is fraying, Craig. Let's not keep going around in circles. If
MVPD subscriptions were on the increase, if "the bundle" subscriptions were on
the increase, you would not hear the Moonves' and the Skippers of the world
coming up with these new ideas.

> And thus you CHOOSE to accept only that content that is available
> without a MVPD subscription. I have no problem with that. The fact
> that I CHOOSE to pay for MVPD service does not mean I support the
> content and distribution oligopoly business model;

It not only means, but it demonstrates, that you are in fact supporting that
local monopoly business model. You might be trying to express that you don't
like it, but that's a bit like whining. I'm sure you can imagine what would
happen, Craig, if all the Craigs in the world shaved or cut their cord. How do
you think the sports leagues would respond? Any guesses?

And no, telling me that a particular show is only available over Netflix proves
nothing at all. The fact is, people are willing to bail out of HBO, which also
has unique shows, and go to Netflix instead. Here's a suggestion for you,
Craig. Shave your cord, and watch MLS over the Internet for free.