[opendtv] Re: Digital radios outstrip analogue Shortwave ?

  • From: jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:59:10 +0100

Hello,

Richard Hess wrote:
> So, am I hearing it right that there is a move afoot to "improve"
> international shortwave -- especially in a way that means that lots
> 'o new, state-of-the-art, non-home-buildable radios need to be
purchased?

Yes, it seems to be that way. That's progress.

Realistically, nobody is building their own shortwave radio anymore,
not when you can have it made for just a few dollars in China.
It is more important that you can buy one that really works, with
a reasonably sized antenna, under all atmospheric conditions.

I have used a portable shortwave radio in Austria, for receiving the
Dutch "Wereldomroep", and it was not always easy to receive even a
barely intelligible news broadcast. If they can improve that with
DRM, that I can reliably receive rnw.nl any time any place within its
intended footprint, then I will happily buy one of those radios.
And they promise more than that: almost FM quality, on the SW band.

(I don't wish to receive it over satellite or IP ... in a tent !)

Greetings,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |