[opendtv] Re: Digital radios outstrip analogue Shortwave ?

  • From: "Cliff Benham" <cliff.benham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:18:30 -0500

Richard L. Hess wrote:

"The beauty of international shortwave is that it can be picked up on =
old and
primitive radios--perhaps even home-made ones--in countries where=20
truth, money,
and access to consumer goods are restricted. At least that was the=20
premise that
I understood when I did some work with VOA."

This is true and is also a main point which the BBC absolutely would not =
acknowledge
when they decided to turn off their shortwave "BBC WORLD SERVICE" =
several years ago.

How many people in the U.S. no longer can hear the BBC because they
stopped their shortwave transmissions? It's available on XM Radio, but =
I'm sure very few
people ran right out and bought one just to hear the BBC.