[opendtv] Re: China writes its own digital TV standard

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:12:49 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> I have said in the past that if 8-VSB could be made to
> work I would like to use it. The question is can it be
> made to work with current receivers. Both E-VSB and A-VSB
> do not work with current receivers IMO.

They do. It's just that current receivers cannot make use of the new
robustness. Just like DVB-H (when sent along with DVB-T in the same
channel). Legacy receivers can't use that either, but at least DVB-H
doesn't break the legacy receiver.

> Any talk of any fix to 8-VSB that renders current
> receivers obsolete partially or totally opens the door
> to consideration and comparison to ALL other
> modulations.
>
> That would include ADTB-T (VSB) IMO.

For *us*, sure. For the Chinese, that's another matter. They are making
changes to *both* COFDM and 8-VSB, and these changes might not be
backward compatible at all. Or at least, they are likely to degrade
legacy receivers. But they are making something new, so anything goes.

By the way, Brazil could have perhaps been enticed that way, to work on
8-VSB improvements. But I have a feeling they were looking for a lot of
investment.

For us in the US, I agree that it's far more interesting to limit
changes only to the receiver design, if possible.