[opendtv] Re: China writes its own digital TV standard

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 16:34:10 -0700

Interlineated reply follows:

Bert Wrote:
>It's only because I keep hearing word-of-mouth accounts of how much better
>integrated receivers work than stand-alone STBs that I have any reason to
>believe that the improvements we hear about ever make it to store shelves.

 I'm unaware of these integrated receiver performance reports. However I do
tend to distrust such anecdotal chatter given what we know about widely
varying performance results under different reception conditions.

 A couple of years ago I was advised by an engineer from Zarlink that Cable
Ready integrated receiver designs were lacking the selectivity required to
operate in many OTA environments. That could have changed I suppose, but
short of testing such devices under known OTA conditions, I wouldn't bank on
it.

>Does anyone know if E-VSB has been incorporated in any receivers yet? It
>might have been, and we're not likely to ever be told. For whatever reason.
>I'm willing to bet a lot of money you won't find E-VSB or Gemini chips in
>any OTA-only STB, however.

 Good question, I don't know the answer though. My guess would be not since,
to my knowledge, E-VSB is not in broadcast use. Perhaps Zenith has done
something stealthy.

>But take heart, Dale. The situation is Europe is not all that different.
>Aside from the DVB-H/DMB-T to cell phone hype, few people in most European
>countries know or (apparently) care about digital TV or DTT.

 I seem to recall a recent report of Freeview viewer ship eclipsing that of
analog OTA in Britain and where OTA viewer ship includes a significantly
high  percentage of households.