[opendtv] Re: China writes its own digital TV standard

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 10:38:41 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

I wrote

>>> If multipath is static or slowly changing, you can
>>> average different occurances of the PN seqence and
>>> get, in the static case, essentially perfect
>>> removal of the PN sequence interference with the
>>> COFDM caused by multipath. In the static case, in
>>> other words, even with severe multipath, the PN
>>> sequence add NO NOISE to the COFDM data, after
>>> processing.
>>>
>>> Oh yes ... pilot carriers are either not needed or
>>> of reduced need.
>> Yes, this is interesting indeed, and shows what's happening here.
>> Convergence. Multicarrier and single carrier receivers working much the
>> same way.

> I have said in the past that if 8-VSB could be made to work I would like to
> use it. The question is can it be made to work with current receivers. Both
> E-VSB and A-VSB do not work with current receivers IMO.

None of the proposed schemes are backwards compatible.

The scheme I propose above for COFDM is essentially as
(AVERAGE!, not peak) power intensive as VSB at the same
bitrate. In the long run they will be competitive. COFDM
will them have a small advantage in receiver complexity:
I emphasize SMALL, since the best method of using it without
pilots will require fairly complicated batch processing.

Doug  McDonald