[opendtv] Re: Cable vs. Telco: What Happens When Competition Outpaces Washington Rules

  • From: John McClenny <jamcclenny@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:13:39 -0500

On 5/12/05, John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And who's model is that?
>
> On 12-May-05, at 7:30 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
> > versus the Internet TV model,
> > where anyone can deliver video to anyone via a generic broadband
> > connection.
> >

> Craigs :).
  I expect that we will some some blending of models once the telcos get
going - more open access to the STB for a cut of the revenues. The IP
networks just can't handle the BW required to do a full open TV model, for
at least the next 5-10 years and the STB owner wants to be paid for access
to the STB real estate.
 Not to mention the problem of finding the content you want to watch on the
TV if the menu of content is much larger.
 Of course, anyone can still build a box and attach it to the ISP broadband
side of the home. This has failed so far because the amount of content
hasn't justified the cost of the STB.
 Doc