[opendtv] Re: Cable vs. Telco: What Happens When Competition Outpaces Washington Rules

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:03:09 -0400

At 11:13 AM -0500 5/12/05, John McClenny wrote:
>   I expect that we will some some blending of models once the telcos get
>going - more open access to the STB for a cut of the revenues. The IP
>networks just can't handle the BW required to do a full open TV model, for
>at least the next 5-10 years and the STB owner wants to be paid for access
>to the STB real estate.
>  Not to mention the problem of finding the content you want to watch on the
>TV if the menu of content is much larger.
>  Of course, anyone can still build a box and attach it to the ISP broadband
>side of the home. This has failed so far because the amount of content
>hasn't justified the cost of the STB.
>  Doc

I think there is some confusion here about what I am calling Internet
TV. It is not a replacement service for the current multi-channel
subscription TV business model. I agree that the public Internet
cannot support that kind of business model today, if ever.

What I am talking about is individual entities (e.g. CNN or ABC news,
etc.) and independent content producers who can now take some of
their content direct to the consumer via the public net. There is
NOTHING real-time about this model. It is a file download or
progressive download (play while downloading) model. I think of this
more as a bypass technology or a new viewing venue than competition
for a multi-channel TV service. In a similar manner, DVD is becoming
a bypass technology for the distribution of traditional TV
programming.