[opendtv] Re: Basic basic service

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 09:32:04 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> In many of the discussions about reclaiming the broadcast spectrum
> the idea that cable would provide a lifeline service is mentioned;
> there are also suggestions that some of the money from auctions be
> used to pay for this service for those who are disenfranchised.
>
> But the real questions is what happens if the Networks go direct
> with the MVPDs. Do they still show up on the lifeline service, or
> does this tier become a second class citizen, populated with local
> broadcasters struggling to fill their channels with something we
> might watch - one might think of this in terms of what a lifeline
> tier would look like if it was only filled with LPTV stations.
>
> If the networks do go direct, then who decides what channels make
> it to the lifeline tier? Why would a former broadcast network have
> a greater claim than ANY cable network?

Exactly. I wonder the same thing.

As long as FOTA TV distribution networks are more or less under direct control
of the congloms, either as O&Os or dedicated affiliated stations, I can see
that the congloms would have some interest in making their brand look good.
Take away the correlation between the distribution net and the conglom, and
there's absolutely no good reason for the conglom to care.

So once again, this might be great for the MVPDs, but I really can't fathom why
the consumer should like this FCC push.

Remember some years ago, when the IRS was found to be somewhat out of control
in how they hounded people? Overly zealous bureaucrats who forgot who their
employer really was? This is a similar case. The Congress directed the FCC to
take charge of deploying broadband. And the FCC is going overboard in their
new-found zeal, willy nilly going for all the spectrum they can grab, whether
they need to or not, and behaving like an agent working directly to promote
MVPD and ISP interests.