[opendtv] Re: Basic basic service

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:15:59 -0500

> In many of the discussions about reclaiming the broadcast spectrum the
> idea that cable would provide a lifeline service is mentioned; there
> are also suggestions that some of the money from auctions be used to
> pay for this service for those who are disenfranchised.
>
> But the real questions is what happens if the Networks go direct with
> the MVPDs. Do they still show up on the lifeline service, or does this
> tier become a second class citizen, populated with local broadcasters
> struggling to fill their channels with something we might watch - one
> might think of this in terms of what a lifeline tier would look like
> if it was only filled with LPTV stations.
>
> If the networks do go direct, then who decides what channels make it
> to the lifeline tier? Why would a former broadcast network have a
> greater claim than ANY cable network?

For one thing, any national channel may charge a very small amount of
money each to a potentially huge national audience, for a similar cost
of content production.  Most local stations could not charge because
their possible local audience is orders of magnitude smaller and the
amount they would have to charge per household would be too large to
support them and likely nobody would buy.  So the locals would want to
stay free and advertising supported.

But in all cases there are potentially more viewers on a free channel
since everybody can see it.  So I think it's a trade off between
consumer fees and advertising revenue.

There is certainly room for (any combination of) both.

- Tom