[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 10:39:03 -0400

A few general comments about the lip sync problem.

The reality that TV stations typically run their on-air operations to produce a continuous stream at digital baseband, then encode it for emission, does NOT make this the most desirable practice for an all digital broadcast system that uses headers and descriptors to deliver multiple synchronous and asynchronous services.

It is a matter of convenience, and a legacy practice that has been propped up by manufacturers who are designing to what broadcasters perceive as necessary, rather than designing for a modern digital media infrastructure with significantly enhanced capabilities.

To be fair, the ATSC standard was conceived largely to replicate the practices used for legacy analog broadcast systems. The standard does not support a variety of capabilities that are better handled in an "intelligent receiver." In the long run, this fact alone may be the downfall of broadcasting, as significantly enhanced capabilities become commonplace with new digital media appliances that pull content from the Internet.

If you are confused, consider a very simple capability that 'could" have been implemented at the receiver level, but instead is handled in the broadcast master control mixer. That capability is graphics overlays onto program content; this includes, logo bugs, emergency warning messages, and commercial tags that may be inserted live, rather than creating multiple versions of a spot on the server to deal with tag rotations.

The log bug problem is particularly relevant. Where do you inset the bug on a 16:9 program stream? If you put it in the lower right corner, it will not be seen on legacy 4:3 displays that crop the program rather than presenting it in letterbox. If the bug is inserted by the receiver, it can be placed in the proper location all the time, and a receiver manufacturer could allow the consumer to turn the damn things off.

This is a no-brainer - Web browsers routinely do this, with full support for transparency. And all types of receivers need local graphics capabilities today for navigation, program guides, etc.

I could go on and on, but I think everyone may get the point that putting intelligence in the receiver - or at the edges of the network if you prefer - can significantly enhance the capabilities for the entity that is sending the bits to the receiver.

TV stations SHOULD be sending multiple streams that can be composited in the receiver. This can solve all manner of problems with entropy coding, and will allow for mass personalization of the broadcast experience, rather than mass sameness. This can include localization of information and commercials to sub markets, personalized commercials, and transitions in the receiver that will overcome the limitations of entropy coding...

Can you say Fade-to-Block?

Consider the audio sync problem for a moment. If EVERY event was a new stream, rather than the concatenation of multiple event, it would be quite easy to get the lip sync correct for each event - other than some of the "production" issues raised by Mark, which are "upstream."

In short, it's time for broadcasters to start thinking bout delivering files rather than streams. And if we REALLY want to improve delivered quality, these files should be properly encoded and delivered without additional decoding/re-encoding. As an program supplier or an advertiser, I would very much like to guarantee that the bits delivered are the same bits that I provided to the broadcaster.

As we move deeper into the new digital media world, there will be other opportunities to fix problems in innovative ways. Real-time (and near real-time) image processing and analysis are now making their way into commercial software products. Some of you may have seen the Apple "I'm a Mac" commercial where PC is trying to sort photos - the Mac guy points out that iPhoto now offers facial recognition software that can find all instances of a particular person.

How hard could it be to analyze a live video stream and look for natural pauses and lip movement to adjust lip sync? Stuff like this will happen!

So in conclusion, I must ask Cliff, why he thinks it is the responsibility of the FCC to guarantee things work? Obviously we have a brain dead digital broadcast system because the brain dead FCC rubber stamped a standard created by a handful of industry insiders with one goal in mind:

To produce $ billions in ongoing royalty streams for technologies that should have been in the public domain that are now hopelessly dated.