[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 22:54:33 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Cliff Benham wrote:

IT SHOULD JUST WORK. PERIOD.

Cliff, of course.

The fact that it doesn't points out that the problem has
been ignored for at least 10 years by the industry and the FCC.

By the CE industry, sure.

By the FCC? Only if there was some fundamental flaw in the transmission
standard that cause this problem.

Surely laws have been broken by this and those both responsible
and irresponsible should be brought to justice.

What laws have been broken? The laws that forbid CE manufacturers from
designing less than perfect products?

Ah-Ha, I'm now enlightened by having just googled 'ATSC Receiver Performance standard' and got this:
http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_74-w-Corr-1-Amend-1.pdf.

Now I understand. It says very near the top that 'this recommendation applies to the front end performance' of ATSC receivers.

No mention of any other parts of the receiver.

So as I originally said, not many are doing their jobs to make receivers that actually work properly overall.