[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:48:59 -0400

Mark Schubin wrote:
I suggest that those commenting on this process who haven't done so go visit a real broadcast TV station and watch what they do -- and with what equipment. Then you may continue to comment but with perhaps a somewhat greater understanding

I've worked as an engineer in commercial TV since 1965. I understand why lip sync in digital TV is a problem but I don't care.
I just expect it to work right like all the other consumers.

What I've seen happen is a continual degrading of the industry since before the beginning of the digital transition.

This is the result of deregulation caused by industry wide lobbying of the FCC leading to its almost complete loss of regulatory control of broadcasting. An earlier comment in this thread makes me think the FCC is not even acknowledging the problem.

When I wrote the original lip sync email *10 years ago* I thought then surely the problem would be resolved. When I wrote the follow up two weeks ago it was to call attention to the fact that *10 years has passed* and the problem is still growing, not getting better.

The point that really matters here is not about understanding why lip sync is difficult to achieve but that the consumers don't care or want to understand the why of it. All the technical explanations in the world about 'why' are irrelevant to consumers.

They have the reasonable expectation that with the new pristine images the sound will be perfect too.

Consumers [the ultimate customer] don't give a damn about why it doesn't work except that it does not work.

There is just no excuse for the FCC or the equipment manufacturers not to have solved whatever the technical issues are by this point in time. They've had at least 10 years to fix it.

Cliff Benham