[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 19:47:52 -0700

And, right on to you too, Bert.

-----Original Message-----
From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Manfredi, Albert E
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 3:23 PM
To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

Cliff Benham wrote:

> What I've seen happen is a continual degrading of the industry
> since before the beginning of the digital transition.
>
> This is the result of deregulation caused by industry wide
> lobbying of the FCC leading to its almost complete loss of
> regulatory control of broadcasting.

But wait. Mark Schubin explained that the ATSC standard fully supports
*continuous* lip synch. That the problem is in the receivers, which only
seem to bother with synch-up when they are first tuned to the channel,
or if the program stream changes format, which apparently occurs rarely.

For instance, in an HD program, any SD commercials are transmitted
upconverted to HD. And the commercials are (I gather) inserted into the
program before compression.

So unless you're asking for more FCC control over receiver design, I
don't think this particular issue is in FCC's mandate?

> When I wrote the original lip sync email *10 years ago* I
> thought then surely the problem would be resolved.

If the problem is with receiver design, then it will be resolved as
quickly as, say, the way receivers make fabulous use of PSIP data, the
way CE manufacturers (in the USA) offer a vast assortment of OTA PVRs,
the way ATSC receivers can compensate for dynamic echo by adjusting for
flatness of the spectrum over short time periods, etc. etc.

When the price of PVRs identical to what you and I own, and still in
production, goes from ~$300 to ~$1100 overnight, practically, you know
that there's something really odd going on. And not in the FCC's
charter.