[opendtv] Re: 20040722 Thundering Thursday Thanks (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 19:28:42 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>>The most amazing thing was the obvious superiority of the simple loop
>>and rectangular antennas.
>>

>Indeed. I suspect two problems. First, I wonder if the active antennas
>introduce some extra phase distortion, or other type of distortion,
>that was imperceptible with analog TV? Second, the more directional
>indoor antennas probably do work better at pulling in weak stations,
>but obviously not without being re-aimed. If you're looking for an
>antenna that mustn't be touched between stations, the less directional
>the better.
>
>Bert

We were re-aiming the directional antennas and checking with a spectrum
analyzer. Our test was perfunctory yes and we gave up after only four
sites much to the surprise of our S. Korean LG friends who expected at
least two grueling days.

The fact is that in Richard Bogner's bedroom looking out his window at
solid green and very tall and thick trees that were waving in a moderate
breeze the simple loop and rectangular antennas casually taped to a
window were only matched by his rotored and very substantial and
complicated rooftop antenna.

That rooftop antenna only was able to match the two wire antennas with
the use of the rotor.

Why, we asked Mr. Hong and Mr. Koo, should we go on, this receiver works.

They are touring Manhattan today.