[opendtv] 20040722 Thundering Thursday Thanks (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Multiple Addresses Suppressed <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:31:28 -0400

SPECIAL!  DTT in the U.S. Works!

Count me among the believers in the 5th-generation LG/Zenith ATSC receiver!

We just did a test, this morning, in my apartment, and I thought the
news was too important not to release immediately.  Present were two
senior research engineers from LG Electronics in Korea, Bob Miller and
an associate from Viacel, and Richard Bogner and an associate.  Miller
had arranged for the test in my apartment.  The receiver was the LG
LST-3100A.

With a simple loop antenna, with NO care in the positioning, we were
able to pull in seven DTT stations reliably.  When I say "reliably," I
mean not only that the pictures and sound were okay but that people
could move around the room and I could move the antenna around without
causing any breakup.  It WAS possible for me to find an orientation
where I could make it fail, but I really had to try, even on WNYW-DT,
which could previously be received only with the antenna on the floor.
 That's a big jump from previously trying to find an orientation (and
position) where I could make it work.  For the first time, I could
receive signals (six channels) from an antenna atop my TV, where I
normally get analog channels.  I received three channels reliably from
New Jersey.  We got the same results with the classic Radio Shack dual
bow-tie with reflector, but other (fancier) antennas did not work as well.

The only channel I have previously received that I could not get this
morning was (which we confirmed with a spectrum analyzer) off the air.
 Two of the other channels I could not receive are operating at very low
power, and one has its transmissions beamed away from me.

I now believe that any shmo with reception conditions similar to mine
can simply take the receiver out of the box, connect a cheap loop
antenna, stick it wherever it looks good, and start to receive ATSC
signals from all full-power, full-pattern stations.

There has been a breakthrough!  YAY!  Congratulations to LG/Zenith!  Let
the transition move forward!

For the record, the channels I received were: WCBS-DT, WNBC-DT, WNYW-DT
(which carries WWOR as a subchannel), WABC-DT, WPXN-DT, WNJN-DT, and
WFME-DT.

TTFN,
Mark