[opendtv] Re: 20040722 Thundering Thursday Thanks (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:27:23 -0400

I would agree that using E-VSB for video is a brutal trade.  But using
E-VSB for backup audio would pull less than 150 kbps from the 19.3 Mbps
(it could probably be made even less) and would allow marginal viewers
to continue with programming they'd otherwise have to dump.

TTFN,
Mark

Eory Frank-p22212 wrote:

As an HDTV owner and enthusiast, I sincerely hope that not a single
kilobit of E-VSB data will ever be transmitted by any DTV broadcaster!
E-VSB is a really brutal trade of primary stream data rate, just to
improve C/N threshold on a secondary stream.