[opendtv] Re: 1985: Television Transformed 1.0

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 22:14:53 -0400

On Oct 4, 2015, at 8:17 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Good article, IMO. Finally an article that explains the actual evolution of
these technologies, and reminds everyone that the VCR started the on demand
era, now more than 30 years ago.

Apparently this information us only legitimate if it is published in the New
York Times. The FACT that I have written similar posts here must be
meaningless. I could go back and dredge up multiple posts over the last few
months that said the same thing.

There is nothing new here, just better technology that makes it easier to do
what we've been doing for decades.

My only disagreement is with the notion that storage is the only difference.
With the neutral Internet, the other new big piece of the puzzle is content
sources. It's one thing to store content from one single pipe, or even from a
handful of OTA sources only. It's a completely different game when the
content storage bins available to everyone are essentially unlimited.

Just more digital gravy...

The article explained this in detail.

Driving home from dinner this evening I got into a long discussion with my wife
about the NYTime articles and how all of this is influencing/changing our
behavior. My wife mentioned that we almost never watch movies at home anymore,
yet we used to drive to Blockbuster, wait in lines, and drive back to avoid
late charges all the time. I noted that things changed when the kids moved out.

When we got home she said she wanted to see the first episode of Game of
Thrones. I checked to see if Amazon has it. They would be more than happy to
sell you the DVD or a single use stream, but it's not available from Prime
video. Apple gets about $39 for the first season, or $3.99 for a single
episode.

Or you can pay Apple or Google $15/mo for HBO Now.

So yes, almost everything is now available on demand via the neutral Internet.

Or you could...

https://torrentfreak.com/game-of-thrones-sets-new-torrent-swarm-record-140415/
Yesterday the second episode of Game of Thrones’ fourth season made its way
onto the Internet. As expected, this generated quite a bit of activity on
various torrent sites.

From all over the world people virtually gathered around the various pirated
copies of the show, breaking the record for the largest BitTorrent swarm ever
in the process.

A few hours after the second episode came online the Demonii tracker reported
that 193,418 people where sharing one single torrent. 145,594 had a complete
copy of the episode and continued to upload, while 47,824 were still
downloading the file.