[opendtv] Re: 1985: Television Transformed 1.0

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 21:33:33 -0400

On Oct 5, 2015, at 10:03 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What point did the article make? The VCR started the revolution, and yes,
time-shifted viewing is a form of on demand. The article, go back and read
it, did not differentiate the two.

Get real.

The only mention of on demand in the article was this paragraph.

The heart of today’s transformation of television is storage. Viewers have
access to vast quantities of programming, according to their tastes and
schedules, stored on DVRs, DVDs, on-demand cable and satellite channels, and
online services.

It mentions services. The only correlation is that they all rely on storage.

The article correctly asserts that the VCR started this revolution. Prior to
the VCR the only personal storage for TV was our memories. We sat down and
watched live linear TV channels with a handful of program choices. We waited
until the summer reruns if we wanted to see a program again - or to see an
episode we missed.

The word "rerun" should tell you something Bert. If a VCR offers "on demand"
viewing, then reruns were "on demand" broadcasts. And when a show went into
broadcast syndication, when it aired on local station, that was on demand
too...

Right?

What the article really said is that we have evolved from scarcity to
abundance, and along the way technology has improved the way we can store and
access this abundance. The VCR was the real revolution...

All that has followed is just digital gravy.

And I repeat: the article DOES NOT MAKE THE POINT that multiple sources of
content can now coexist and compete, as opposed to just one per household (in
practice, or a handful of OTA sources). All it talks about is greater storage.

And your point is?

It did not need to make that point, as it is irrelevant. With the introduction
of the VCR multiple sources of content could coexist and compete. The article
went on to describe how cable, Blockbuster, and Netflix added to the abundance.

In other words, nothing has changed except the technology we use today versus
the VCR.

Competition is everything, Craig. You're discounting the one huge sea change.

Your perception of competition is an illusion Bert.

Oligopolies control the content and most of the distribution. More stores means
they make more money. There is no competition as every store pays about the
same for the same content; and for exclusive content they bid the price UP, not
down.

Netflix keeps raising their price. Amazon offers some free content to Prime
customers to get them into their store. CBS opens a store, but the NFL shelf
is empty.

There is no store that offers everything. You must shop at several stores to
feast on the abundance. This perception of competition is an illusion.

Don't believe me?

I keep telling you that almost everyone has had three competing MVPD choices
for two decades. You tell me that they do not compete.