[opendtv] Re: 1985: Television Transformed 1.0

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 02:03:06 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

The word "rerun" should tell you something Bert. If a VCR offers
"on demand" viewing, then reruns were "on demand" broadcasts.

"On demand" broadcasts is an oxymoron, Craig. By appointment is never one
demand. Whereas a VCR is a subclass of on demand service, where the storage is
on your own premises.

And I repeat: the article DOES NOT MAKE THE POINT that
multiple sources of content can now coexist and compete, as
opposed to just one per household (in practice, or a handful
of OTA sources). All it talks about is greater storage.

And your point is?

It did not need to make that point, as it is irrelevant.

It is only irrelevant to those who hype up the walled garden TV media. It is
instead a major difference in TV programming distribution that the 2-way
Internet medium ushered in.

I keep telling you that almost everyone has had three
competing MVPD choices for two decades. You tell me that
they do not compete.

Not everyone had access to all three, three is not enough to offer real
competition, the proof is in their pricing and bundling choices, and to top it
off, DBS doesn't offer broadband access.

'Nuff said.