[openbeosnetteam] Re: net_server and general questions

  • From: "Brennan Cleveland" <warriorspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:20:20 -0600

>Hi,
>to make PPP dial-prompts possible I need some background process that
>watches for new connections being established

This confused me for second.  I think what you want to say is it
watches for new connection attempts.

>and then prompts the
>user for the password (if no password was supplied) or if the user
>just wants to confirm each connection attempt it asks to press
>"Connect" (or change the password before connecting). You should know
>an equivalent dialog from Windows.

Yes indeed, I am familiar.

>May I add a net_server background process that takes over this job? I
>would create a very simple add-on API so it is not limited to PPP.

I think we have no choice... In order to implement dial on demand
there has to be some background process watching for connection
attempts.  I also dont see where adding this would affect R5
compatibility or anything like that.

>How should I call the dial-on-demand settings in the DialUpPreflet?
>Does "Dial On Demand" sound okay or would some computer newbies
>prefer "Dial Automatically (when needed)"?

I think "Dial Automatically When Needed" is a little clearer.

>If you have the time: could you please take a look at the
>DialUpPreflet? I know, the window looks horrible when no interfaces
>were created, but what interests me is whether the interface
>configuration is okay (select "Create new..." from the menu, it will
>create a default interface named "NewInterface"; a dialog for
>entering the name will be added later). Of course, the final app will
>add the IPCP (IPv4) protocol automatically to the settings, but for
>now... Do the buttons look too horrible in the sub-windows (PPPoE:
>Service, IPCP: Preferences)? Should I choose some default size and
>align them to the right (I am lazy and I do not like GUI programming
>because it is too time-consuming ;)?

Havent had a chance to look at the GUI yet.

>Bye,
>Waldemar

Brennan