[openbeosnetteam] net_server and general questions

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenBeOS Networking" <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:41:55 +0100

Hi,
to make PPP dial-prompts possible I need some background process that watches
for new connections being established and then prompts the user for the
password (if no password was supplied) or if the user just wants to confirm
each connection attempt it asks to press "Connect" (or change the password
before connecting). You should know an equivalent dialog from Windows. There
are other tasks for this background process, too, but that is not important.
May I add a net_server background process that takes over this job? I would
create a very simple add-on API so it is not limited to PPP.

How should I call the dial-on-demand settings in the DialUpPreflet? Does "Dial
On Demand" sound okay or would some computer newbies prefer "Dial Automatically
(when needed)"?

If you have the time: could you please take a look at the DialUpPreflet? I
know, the window looks horrible when no interfaces were created, but what
interests me is whether the interface configuration is okay (select "Create
new..." from the menu, it will create a default interface named "NewInterface";
a dialog for entering the name will be added later). Of course, the final app
will add the IPCP (IPv4) protocol automatically to the settings, but for now...
Do the buttons look too horrible in the sub-windows (PPPoE: Service, IPCP:
Preferences)? Should I choose some default size and align them to the right (I
am lazy and I do not like GUI programming because it is too time-consuming ;)?

Bye,
Waldemar