[openbeosnetteam] Re: Haiku internship

  • From: Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 22:18:25 +0200

A G wrote:

Hello;

My name is Andrew Galante, and I am the new intern working on the Haiku
network stack with you this summer.  From talking with Michael, it seemed i
would be working on putting the FreeBSD network stack into Haiku.

Right now, I'm working on getting the 3 OS's (FreeBSD, BeOS R5 and Haiku) up
and running on either real hardware or virtual machines.  I will also be
going through some of the mailing list archives to see what's been going on.

Hi Andrew! This will hopefully become an exciting time for all of us. :))

Just to get you started:

You probably already saw the team page:
http://haiku-os.org/contribute.php?mode=team_view&id=Networking

We have a wiki page for the networking team at:
http://www.haiku-os.org/wiki/index.php?title=Networking
It is a little bit out of date, though. You could use the wiki to collect
details about the netstack, possible problems, which APIs are not supported by
Haiku and what else might be useful for the other participating developers.

My wish for the porting layer is that it's clean and well-documented, so new
developers are able to take over maintenance tasks (import changes from
FreeBSD).

Please make sure that you also subscribed to these mailing lists:
* //www.freelists.org/list/openbeos

Do you already have a BerliOS account? You can create one here:
http://developer.berlios.de/
Please tell us your user name, so we can add you to the project. Haiku's BerliOS
project page (including information about getting SVN repos contents):
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/haiku

Are you familiar with our development tools? We use:

* SCM: subversion
reference: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
intro to branches (unfortunately, GCC-related): http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SvnHelp
(you'll probably need to use branches for initial development)
If you want to use SSH keys:
http://developer.berlios.de/docman/display_doc.php?docid=31&group_id=2

* build system: Jam
It's faster to copy and modify existing Jamfiles instead of reading long-winded
tutorials. You won't get into deep details, anyway. Ask on this list if you
have a complex problem (esp. Ingo Weinhold can help you).

* bug tracker: http://haiku-os.org/bugzilla/
Self-explaining.

The tools and documentation can be found on our website in the Develop section:
http://haiku-os.org/develop.php
but please ignore the coding guidelines and use this updated version (with
explanation about license headers):
http://www.haiku-os.org/wiki/index.php?title=Coding_Guidelines
Keep this in mind: we love people who follow our coding guidelines and we beat
others with a bamboo stick until the text appears on their back. You'll see
that this makes sense. :)

You can use Vim for development. On http://www.bebits.com you can also find a
simple GUI version and other software, but we also have a command-line version
in our repos. Many BeOS developers just use BeIDE or Pe (everything on
BeBits.com).

Let me introduce a few people: Our networking team leader is Philippe Houdoin,
but he's not coding a lot on networking, anymore (real-life issues). Oliver
Tappe will actively help with coding. I hope that Axel DÃrfler will join
development, too. And finally, I've written the PPP stack (not finished, of
course...). Now, I'm mostly doing non-coding tasks, but I should still be able
to answer a few netstack questions. We will be mentoring and helping you with
design decisions and everything that might come up. If you ever have a question
just post to this mailing list. For quick questions IRC might be helpful, too:
* server: irc.freenode.net
* channel: #haiku
For a translation between real names and nick names look here:
http://www.haiku-os.org/wiki/index.php?title=Developers

Don't be afraid of the flood of information. It's actually not that much. ;)

I hope you'll have a lot of fun with us. Welcome to the team! :))

Bye,
Waldemar