[openbeosnetteam] Re: Haiku internship

  • From: Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 11:56:19 +0200

Axel DÃrfler wrote:

Yup, agreed. That would be the first task. I can already name two
things:
* sysctl() is not supported by our netstack and the plan is to
replace
it with a nicer mechanism (BMessage, and from kernel: KMessage).

I think a simple ioctl() interface is the way to go for now.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that one, too. But for the net_server we'd use
BMessage. Also, for notifications from kernel land I'd prefer KMessage (like it
is used for node monitoring).

* PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER is a function call, thus you can't
statically
initialize a mutex. ATM, our pthread support is not as nice as it
should be. I
know that Axel has the fix on his TODO list, but he's probably busy
with other
coding tasks, right now. Anyway, you can get around that even without
the fix.

Well, he could even fix it if he needs it, I don't have to do everything, really :-)

I just want to use our time more effectively (thus the "you can get around that"). Andrew should not do netstack and kernel development in parallel if that means he'll not be able to finish the netstack in time. Let's put less critical tasks at the end of the task list.

Bye,
Waldemar