[openbeosnetteam] Re: Haiku internship

  • From: Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:46:25 +0200

Hello Andrew (and a second welcome, too!)

I have no say in this project, as I am neither teamlead nor admin, but
nevertheless I feel the urge to make a suggestion...

On 2006-06-01 at 16:58:06 [+0200], A G <haiku.galante@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My name is Andrew Galante, and I am the new intern working on the Haiku
> network stack with you this summer.  From talking with Michael, it seemed i
> would be working on putting the FreeBSD network stack into Haiku.
>
> Right now, I'm working on getting the 3 OS's (FreeBSD, BeOS R5 and Haiku) up
> and running on either real hardware or virtual machines.  I will also be
> going through some of the mailing list archives to see what's been going on.

When you check the archives of this list, you'll find that we haven't really
made up our minds about which way to go: fix the current stack or replace it
with the one from FreeBSD. I am currently trying to find out just how buggy
our current stack is and try to get an estimate of how much work would be
necessary to bring it into a working state.

I do not know what Michael (and the others?) has/have told you, but I
personally would find it very helpful if someone (aka: you >;o) would have a
close look at FreeBSD's stack and produce a list of kernel & userland
services that are required by that netstack. You probably know this, but
anyway: the idea was to establish some kind of FreeBSD compatibility "layer"
which would allow their netstack to run on Haiku and still be able to sync
the stack with the FreeBSD repository at a later stage.

I personally would find it very useful if you and me could collect as much
information as possible about these two different options (stick with our
stack or go FreeBSD) in order to make it easier to decide for the best way to
proceed.

What do you and the others think?

cheers,
        Oliver