[openbeosmediakit] Re: 3ivx decoder and Haiku

  • From: Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:50:21 +0200 (CEST)

Axel Dörfler  <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "David McPaul" <dmcpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The main problem I had was that the new codec code seems to be
> > expecting the avi fourcc to be swapped using B_SWAP_INT32 and this is
> > different to the R5 media kit.
>
> If that's the case, the AVI extractor is likely to be the culprit.
As far as I know, FOURCCs are defined to be stored in big endian.
Thus, the fourcc "1234" must be stored as [1][2][3][4].
However, it might have been a mistake to keep them inside the
API as big endian.

> > Seeking seems to not work correctly but I think that is currently an
> > issue with the extractor not yet implementing seeking yet.
Yes, the AVI reader doesn't do any seeking.
I'll implement that when my Media Player replacement requires it.
However, I just resumed work on the media kit, so it may take
two or three weeks.

> > Since the 3ivx decoder handles many different MPEG-4 content it  clashes
> > with the avcodec and the codec's it registers for.  Are we looking at
> > adding functionality to let the user choose the decoder using some sort
> > of priority or niceness factor?
Priority or niceness isn't a good idea.

> IIRC that's the plan, although I don't exactly remember how it was
> planned - we've changed plans at least once there :)
We planed to allow the user to configure which codec is chosen for
a particular format (from a list of codecs that support the format),
but nobody implemented it.

> But some sort of priority expressed by the codec would be great anyway.
I don't think this is a good idea.

Marcus

Arcor-DSL: jetzt ohne Einrichtungspreis einsteigen oder wechseln
Sie sparen 99,95 Euro. Arcor-DSL ist in vielen Anschlussgebieten
verfügbar. http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/emf-dsl-1