[openbeosmediakit] Re: 3ivx decoder and Haiku

  • From: "Andrew Bachmann" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:22:30 -0700 PDT

Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > As an initial hint, why not? As a codec writer, I should have a good
> > idea about how good my codec is at parsing a certain stream?!
>
> It adds complexity. Each codec would have to publish for each format
> a confidence or priority level. I don't think that adding all this does bode
> well.
>
> regards
> Marcus

I agree with Marcus.  In fact, I would go farther and say that the "right"
way to handle codec capability reporting would have to supply the
stream itself to the codec.  It's unreasonable to expect that the extractor
would be able to fully characterize the stream in all possibly relevant
ways.  This would require some restructuring and is not necessary for R1.

Andrew